St. Catharinenkirche at Jellenbek

A testimony of medieval and early modern history in Schleswig-Holstein

Katja Grüneberg-Wehner M.A. | Prof. Dr. Ulrich Müller | Dr. Donat Wehner

The „Catharinen Kerk“ once stood on a plateau high above the coast of the southern bay of Eckernförde. The first historical record of this church was in an official document from 1319. Around 1737 the sacral building was demolished and over the course of time, the exact location was forgotten. It was even believed that the remnants of the church had disappeared under the waves of the ever encroaching Baltic Sea.

During geophysical prospections in 2009 to 2010, conducted during a project by Wolfgang Bauch (ALSH), the former building was located on the active cliff coast. Subsequent excavation campaigns under the direction of Prof. Dr. Ulrich Müller, Katja Grüneberg-Wehner M. A. and Dr. Donat Wehner in 2010, 2012 and 2013 by the Institute for Pre- and Protohistory of the Christian-Albrechts-University in Kiel, managed to uncover and document the entire construction.

The variety and multifacetedness of the finds and findings as well as the positive state of preservation of the church remains give a singular archaeological insight into a late medieval and early modern rectory in a rural setting.