Research History

The former research history of this site consists of a survey and documentation by collaborators of the German Archaeological Institute (DAI) 1956. A first overall plan depicting the outer boundaries and inner, over ground lineaments of the wall was composed by using photos, elevation drawings of a wall-segment, a height profile and several sketches as well as a depiction of the entry on the southern part of the wall which illustrates the monumentality of the enclosure. These plans from 1956 were published as an attachment of the 1964 article in the „Madrider Mittelungen“ by Frey und Rosselló Bordoy on the settlement of S'Illot. Even compared to the tachymetric survey conducted in 2014, the plan is very precise and only depicts the run of the inner wall that was visible at the time. In the Northeast a lime kiln is only indicated as being a possible Talaiot. Of specific interest are the lineaments of the inner wall whose age and context are undocumented but are now overgrown and barely accessible. Unfortunately the plan does not depict the northeastern entrance.

Previously a plan with similar wall lineaments had been published in the journal Ampurias by Tolós und Rosselló Bordoy (Rosselló Bordoy 1962). In contrast to the preceding plan, the wall enclosure is depicted clearly and stereotypically completed. The plan further only shows a few walls on the inside and distinctly illustrates the northeastern Talaiot. A marked difference to the DAI plan is the third primary entrance in the Northeast of the enclosure.

The pottery pieces that are visible on the surface were already noted in 1956 and confirmed during a sharding in 2009 and a survey in 2014. The pottery has been identified as prehistoric (with occasional characteristic talaiotic traits) and Roman as well as Punic.